A mission-critical key in marketing is to align a campaign with something happening in the market. In this particular case, as with many others, timing is everything. Here are some examples I remember specifically from the past 10-20 years, each of which was implemented with success:
- Selling “[Opposing team star player] Sucks” t-shirts to fans of opposing team of said player during a game
- Promoting merchandise for a video game as an affiliate around the game’s release date
- Selling Fear the Beard merchandise during the 2010 World Series
These were successful campaigns because they catered to actual market events happening at the same time. Marketing is a craft that, when done in a timely manner and with a bit of creativity, has the potential to yield some serious results.
Over the past week, we got to see another timely campaign that performed in a similar way. While it’s not confirmed if this was intentional, this notable Ronald Acuna 2018 Topps Chrome Rookie Autographs Superfractor was listed at the perfect time – literally days before the 2018 ROY Awards were announced with Acuna being a solid runner up.
Timeline of events:
- Thursday, 11/7: Superfractor is listed on eBay.
- Monday, 11/12: Ronald Acuna is selected as the 2018 National League Rookie of the Year.Acuna, Ohtani named Rookies of the Year. www.mlb.com
- Thursday, 11/14: Superfractor listing ends.
Sold: Nov 14, 2018
# of Bids: 71
Final Price: $13,600
With the key actual market event (2018 ROY Awards) happening during the auction runtime, the seller couldn’t have timed this more perfectly.