The 2021 Field of Dreams game between the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox was a huge success. For a lot of us who grew up watching the movie, attending a game like this likely instilled an emotional response. While I didn’t attend, just knowing the game happened had me feeling like a kid again. And while the game wasn’t played on the same exact field from the movie, it was played on a field located just next to it.
Physical tickets to the game were made available for a very short time to a very small market. A public registration was made available elusively to Iowa residents with Iowa zip codes for just 8 days, from July 16-23. Winners of the lottery were announced on August 2 and were notified with an opportunity to purchase up to two tickets and one parking pass for this special event.1
For those who didn’t get the chance to purchase a physical ticket, which is most of us, commemorative tickets were made available at the game. While they both look similar, value differences of each version are significant. The following is a detailed comparison of the authentic and commemorative versions of the 2021 Field of Dreams game ticket.
Authentic Ticket Characteristics:
- Field of Dreams Field: The most noticeable difference between the two versions of this ticket is that the authentic version has the phrase, ‘Field of Dreams Field’ printed above ‘Dyersville Iowa’ in the blue box in the center of the ticket.
- Mildly Off-Centered Dot Matrix Font: The dot matrix format has been common on authentic tickets for many decades. The placement of the print on the authentic ticket isn’t perfect, which is displayed in the Row and Seat fields.
- Hyphenated Alphanumeric Code: The authentic ticket contains a hyphenated alphanumeric code below the bar code.
- Black Bar and Red Print on Back: The back of the authentic ticket has both a black bar along the bottom and printed red numbers along the right edge.
Commemorative Ticket Characteristics:
- No Field of Dreams Field: The commemorative ticket doesn’t have the phrase, ‘Field of Dreams Field’ printed above ‘Dyersville Iowa’ in the blue box in the center of the ticket.
- Bold Well-Organized Common Font: All the font appears bold and printed perfectly within its associated fields.
- Numeric Code: The commemorative ticket contains a numeric code below the bar code.
- No Black Bar or Red Print on Back: The back of the commemorative ticket doesn’t have a black bar or any red print.
- Different Text Organization on Back: The text appears to be organized slightly different and takes up most of the back of the commemorative ticket.
To see the current eBay auctions for 2021 Field of Dreams game tickets, click here.